Monday, August 8, 2011

New Homes, Old Religions..

After my mother moved from my grandmother's house, things got really interesting in my house. My mother has never been the type to want to be in a home without a sense of family. So living alone was never her ideal option when moving out. So she decided to move in with her god-father, Pablo.

"Padrino Pablito", god-father Pablito, was a very large man who was the most eccentric individual that I have ever met. He was large, gay, loud, bold and proud of it all. Looking back he was a pioneer in the equal rights for all lifestyles before it was necessary. I remember his round bed. Yup, round bed. It was so comfortable and always had a new animal print blanket on it. Talk about stereo-types.

Padrino Pablito lived in a more urban area, so it was definitely a change in the surrounding. He owned the second and third floor of a building. So we lived the second floor and the third floor was a roof which had a built in kitchen and a small club house for me. I spent endless hours on that roof, playing with my dolls and pretending that they were my friends.

The problem was that at Padrino Pablito's there were never any kids. It was seldom when folk's kids were brought over. He never liked kids, he used to tell me that I had to be the first kids he's ever loved. He found kids to be annoying and too needy. I find this to be comical now, but back then I desperately wished I could at least play with anyone.

Another new addition to my world, the exposure to the Santeria religion. Pablito was very much involved in the religion. He had a room specifically for his "soperas" or porcelain containers used to house the saints. I would see folks at the house have these meetings, dressed all in white, speaking in tongues I never heard before and lots of music. In the beginning I found it to be very scary. I never truly understood what was going on but I knew that I didn't want to be part of anything, other than the music. I loved the sounds of the drums and singing. Being exposed to Santeria so early in life taught me to open minded to other folks' believes. To understand that there's more out there than just one way of thinking when loving "Papa Dios". (that's what I've been taught to call God).

What many folks don't understand about Santeria, is that is not a black and white as it refers to God. Santeros do believe in God as well as the assistance of other beings in their requests and prayers.

I always found it fascinating when Pablo used to read the "caracoles" to folks, and actually be right about things. I wondered how shells can actually give you insight on what is happening and will happen to you.

Soon after, Padrino's eccentricity, no kids and Santeria became very familiar. But like everything else in my life, once things become the norm something changes..

No comments:

Post a Comment