Friday, August 5, 2011

From the Beginning...

Deciding to give a more thorough background of me, I decided to start from the beginning of it all. I was born in Santurce, Puerto Rico on June 8th (mid 70s). My mother, a 21 year old full of life and lacking in experiences decided to become a single mom. She had met my dad, a medical school student, in New York City and started a brief but intense relationship. More on that later. Dad's family comes from India yet decided to migrate to Guyana. So most of his life he lived in tropical Guyana. He's a mix between Abbu from The Simpsons and Tony Montana.

From the start the details of my immediate family have been sketchy. From what I understand, my mom was summoned to Puerto Rico by my grandfather because he was sick. She left the next day after receiving word without really saying good bye to my father. Later, she finds out that she is in fact pregnant, but at that time my dad had moved and not left a forwarding address. It's not until later on in life that I find out the truth of the whole story.

As far as I can remember I never looked like anyone in my family. Besides my grandmother I was the only one with straight hair. My complexion was different, my features were different, my NAME was definitely different. I never really fit in with my mom's family although I was raised to respect and love them. I was mostly close to my grandma after my grandfather death. I never really missed a "father figure" because I had 4 uncles that were constantly looking after me. They made sure I was spoiled, disciplined, loved and defended. It was not until my mom decided to move away from the family that I began to realize that not only am I different than anyone I've grown up with, but I also did not have a father living in my house. Not once had I used the word "dad" or "daddy" in my childhood.

This really affected me more than I realized at the time. But of course you don't realize this way until you're an adult that you realize how deep your childhood affects you....

No comments:

Post a Comment